Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day for my first grader


Cutie Pie came home from school this afternoon very excited. Her bucket was filled with Valentine cards and goodies and she couldn't wait to show them to me. Today, I've been thinking a lot about the first Valentines day I remember. I was in first grade and it was the day I found out that my dad died.

As she dumped her bucket out, a horrific thought flashed through my mind. How awful it must have been for my mother to tell me that my dad died on Valentines day. At the same time I was thinking about that. I also had a feeling of  incredible relief. Relief that I have never had to explain that sort of situation to my children.


Even though I have an incredibly strained relationship with my mother I called her. I told her I was sorry that she had to tell me something so terrible. It must have hurt a lot. We had a good conversation. We ended our conversation in a very typical way.

Mom: " Did you have a collection of pennies in a Frito bag"
Me: "What?"
Mom: "I found an empty bag of Fritos behind the tv with a bunch of pennies in it. It has to be yours."
Me: "Mom I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't remember collecting pennies in a Frito bag. It must be from before I can remember."

That bag full of pennies has probably been behind that tv for a good 25 years:D hahaha but not really. Children of hoarders often say that cleaning in a hoarders home is like archeology.....peeling away the years. My mom found a rare ancient Frito artifact:) What will she find next week? At least shes kicking some of those hoarding habits. Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment